Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Snapshot from D.C. (and Baltimore)


Washington, DC – Things have slowed down a bit in Washington. After 4 months of employment at e-Luminate Group (www.eluminategroup.com), I am comfortably settling into a non-campaign pace. On April 4th I visited Baltimore's Inner Harbor with my step father. We visited the USS Constellation, the USS Torsk (WWII era submarine), had lunch and walked up Federal Hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Hill,_Baltimore) across from the Inner Harbor. It was the first actual "nice" day in the Mid-Atlantic region, which means everyone and their mother and uncle were out at the Inner Harbor. Kids playing if balloon animals (I hate those things) and musicians playing on the docks (I like that) and tons and tons of dogs walking with their owners (I want a dog). Take a look at photos from the trip and shots from Washington, D.C. (http://picasaweb.google.com/nick.kowalski/TheRaconteursPostAdventuresInDCJanApr2009#)

I want to clarify a question I received in response to my post, "Employment Outlook for a former campaign staffer," posted on March 15. I am currently employed. In fact, I have been working as an independently contracted consultant for my old boss and mentor, John Kenny, at his firm, e-Luminate Group (http://www.eluminategroup.com). It is great work and I love working for John. However, my career ambitions to manage a Congressional race in 2010 have not subsided and am I continuing to pursue that goal. Also, if an opportunity in the Administration presented itself, I'd take a serious look.

A few more of my fellow Obama campaign comrades have found jobs since my last posting. Some folks are working for Organizing for America, one or two are experiencing progress with the Administration, but most have found employment on Capitol Hill, at a foundation or think tank or a "regular" non-political career.

Yesterday, April 8th, The Washington Post, ran another article about the plight of former Obama campaign staffers pursuing employment in the Obama Administration. "Wishing and Hoping and Networking: Young People Who Want to Work for Obama Wait for a Call" (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/07/AR2009040704142.html?sid=ST2009040800137), by Ian Shapira is a great article. I actually sent Ian an email about my own experience in the career hunt and offered some insight from others I've talked with. The long-and-short of it is: the job market stinks for everyone, including those that made sacrifices and worked hard on the most transformative political campaign in a generation. That is just how tough it is.

Two of my current "favorite things": Commanders at War television show on the Military Channel (Monday's 9 ET) and those E*Trade commercials with the babies, "I can't flex the golden pipes?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhfl4mFH1No). Hilarious.

NOTE: My NCAA Tournament Bracket? Let's say, I got my $5 back!*

*-you get your money back when you finish last. Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment